Latest Information About Our Response to Coronavirus
UU Lansing Rules for Community Gardening and Grounds Work
The church building is still closed to congregants and community members.
No restrooms or other amenities are available for congregants or public use.
· Follow instructions on all signs posted on the premises.
· Stay home if you feel ill, have been exposed to Covid-19, or are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea).
· Practice social distancing, maintaining a 6-foot distance from others at all times.
· Avoid touching your face, particularly eyes, nose, and mouth.
· Cover coughs and sneezes with tissue (preferable) or by coughing/sneezing into the crook of your arm.
· Wash hands with soap and water (preferable) or use hand sanitizer before and after touching any tools or surfaces that others have touched (or are likely to).
· Wash/wipe down handles of “community use” tools with soap and water, sanitizing wipe, or hand sanitizer before and after use.
· Bring a face mask that covers your nose and mouth, and keep it on your person so you can wear it should the need arise. Outdoor activities are relatively low risk, but it can be difficult to maintain 6 feet of space between you and other people at all times.
· Bring your own tools to limit spread of the virus on handles.
· Bring a mobile phone with you and keep it on your person, in case of emergency, especially if you are alone or not in close proximity with others on the grounds.
· Bring water to drink; the water available on the grounds for the community garden is not safe for drinking but can be used to wash hands and rinse off tools.
· If you are planning to go alone, let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return.
For questions about these rules, or if you need to contact someone about the Community Garden or Grounds work, please call:
Church Administrator Kathy McWilliams (Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.), 517-351-4081, ext. 107
Reverend Neal Anderson (Evenings/Weekends/Emergencies) at 517-351-4081, ext. 103
Please DO NOT call police to report people on the grounds unless they are an immediate danger to themselves or others. Thank you!
UU Lansing Covid-19 Task Force Bulletin
Covid-19 Task Force Bulletin
September 10, 2020
At our most recent meeting, the Covid-19 Task Force discussed a few requests we have received to hold church-sponsored activities on church grounds (or off). We are confident it is possible for small groups to gather outdoors with relatively little risk to participants and are eager to facilitate such activities, so we’ve outlined a process for doing just that. The Task Force is not currently considering proposals for indoor activities.
A church-sponsored, or “official,” church activity is any activity at which materials and resources are provided by the church and which is publicized or promoted through the church’s email announcements or otherwise from church staff. A church-sponsored activity is also defined in terms of legal liability. As a spiritual community, we may not like to think in legalistic terms, but the Board, Senior Minister, Church Administrator, and Covid-19 Task Force (empowered by the Board) must take such concerns into account.
Because it isn’t possible for us to imagine every possible outdoor activity that might be proposed and the important considerations that would apply in each, we have developed a proposal form for groups to use when planning outdoor activities on or off church grounds. You can complete the form here.
We welcome questions, concerns, and suggestions at our group email, email@example.com. Please do not use this email address to report immediate needs or make requests for pastoral care. For pastoral care requests, call (517) 351-4081, ext. 102; the line is checked daily. If you have administrative/financial questions, contact church administrator Kathy McWilliams at (517) 351-4081, ext. 107.
Yours in service,